Tool Room Supervisor
Battle Creek, MI 49037
Responsible for making or improving different types of tools to enable the production processes within a manufacturing facility to be as efficient as possible. This may include jigs, fixtures, clamps, dies or molds to obtain a more robust consistently produced part that meets the specification of the customer. Manage tool room personnel and have some budgetary responsibilities.
Responsible for all aspects of in house tool manufacturing, maintenance, development and testing activities to ensure the business objectives are met, to maximize productivity and maintain the highest levels of workmanship for all tooling activities. Lead and co-ordinate resources within the Tool room to ensure all tooling are produced efficiently, on time and in line with quality standards ensuring that Health, Safety and Environmental requirements are adhered to. Implement and maintain a production planning system.
Manage the team on technical best practice and establish standard policies and procedures whilst also mentoring and leading the team. Implement and manage continuous improvement and modern manufacturing principals by highlighting deficiencies and recommending changes in training, working practices and processes.
General and Task Management
- Provide specialist technical advice and support on all aspects of Tool design, manufacturing and estimatingSupport production and engineering with tooling/technical problemsSupervise/Manage the running and plan activities of the tool room facilities and toolmakers, ensuring the tool room is a safe environment in line with health, safety and environmental requirements
- Supports Production and Engineering to manage and guarantee on time availability of tools to ensure continuous production and increase of OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness)
- Develop and manage procedural arrangements whereby proposals on new equipment or tool design can be assessed for their impact in performance terms
- Participate in planning budget for investment of new equipment and drive these investmentsImplement storage of tools to facilitate highest standards within the department for good housekeeping, health, safety and environmental
- Ensure all stock items, tool inserts and spares are organizedOversee all work through the tool room efficiently and cost effectively and ensure that all target dates for tooling are metManufacture new tools from technical drawings to a high level of workmanship and in an efficient, cost effective mannerProvide quotations for new tooling, modifications and repairsAttend various meetings and action/communicate instructionsProduce written reports and make presentations Undertake continuous training and development Perform root cause analysis and resolve problemsStay current and up to date on any changes that may affect the tool room products, materials and advise others of any impact.
- Assist in Development, implementation and management of key performance indicators (KPIs) for each area of responsibility
- Ensure Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are met by working to the overall plan, including management of, and reporting
- Conduct risk assessments of processes and tasks in the departmen tEnsure that the function operates in accordance with any health, safety and environmental policies and procedures to ensure the safety and wellbeing of staff and visitors
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and Experience Required
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent experience preferred
- Relevant journeyman card, manufacturing/engineering degree is preferred
- Extensive plant level experience with significant proven supervisory experience
- Understanding of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Kaizen, lean manufacturing
- Experience of managing Profit and Loss (P&L) responsibilities for manufacturing
- Understanding of IATF16949, ISO 14001
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent leadership and man- management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage a variety of cross-functional team members
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills
- Competent in problem solving, team building, planning and decision making
- Commercially awareMust be able to understand written instructions
About Integrated Talent Strategies (ITS)
ITS is an international recruiting and staffing firm specializing in Engineering, Technical and Professional positions. Founded in 1984 as a subsidiary of an engineering firm, ITS continues to remain a strategic partner for the job seeker.
Our clients include some of the largest and most respected architectural, engineering, and manufacturing companies in business today. Our ability to offer a wide range of services, and the flexibility to adjust to the changing needs of our clients, has allowed us to maintain a solid reputation for several decades.
To learn more, go to www.Wehirepeople.Com or click below to directly contact your recruiter.