Powder Coat Engineer
Cleveland, OH 44113
The incumbent is primarily accountable for developing Global improvements in Powder Coatings manufacturing processes. Acting as GSC NA Engineering Subject Matter Expert (SME) for Powder Coatings.
- In conjunction with Divisional, Regional and Site Teams evaluate the current state of Powder equipment regarding efficiency and new manufacturing processes. This includes:
- Understanding the process limitations of equipment;
- Ensure equipment meets and exceeds current Safety guidelines – Conduct PHA' s, MOC Evaluations, and other safety audits
- Work with Environmental resources to ensure sites are staying in compliance on Engineered controls
- Identifying critical maintenance items and understanding the effect of poor maintenance and the variability created;
- Defining critical variables for each major components of the equipment; and,
- Developing process requirements for specialized technologies such as textures, bonding.
- Focus on Improving OEE (Machine productivity, Quality Rate, Downtime Reduction), Opportunity Costs (Yields and Reject) and Conversion .
- Acting liaison and promotes collaboration between site functional leaders and GSC Engineering resources.
- Assist in defining and implementing corrective and preventive actions for manufacturing process issues;
- Ensure monitoring the results of corrective/preventive action implementation to drive long term sustainability;
- Verify that process controls are put in place;
- Ensure " Root Cause” investigation processes for problems that occur take place;
- Assist in the development and maintenance of Standard Operating Procedures to meet manufacturing performance objectives.
- Support and enhance Quality Excellence initiatives.
- Work with functional groups to reduce Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ), eliminate processing issues and customer complaints.
- Utilize VOC and internal failure rates to refine and reduce process variability, driving repeatability and reproducibility as it relates to product quality.
- Function as a key single point of contact for Global Powder Coatings Equipment Suppliers.
- Develop partnerships with OEMs to drive collaboration in equipment and process development.
- Develop alternative key process equipment supply options to minimize single sourcing
- Evaluates alternate types of processes and equipment innovations. Developing equipment and installation costs, economic justification, and provides analysis to aid in the completion of Capital Authorization requests.
- Sustaining engineering (Global Standardization) - Develop Global Powder Equipment Standards and maintain Global Equipment databases
- Consult with Technical, R&D, Innovation Engineering on manufacturing techniques for new products and guides major new products through initial production This may include
- Participate in Opportunity Rex discussions;
- Suggest alternate manufacturing techniques with existing equipment or with modifications that will reduce the product cost or improve product quality;
- Work with the Technical and R&D, Innovation Engineering to implement alternate manufacturing techniques
- New product integration interface with equipment manufacturers. Ensure alignment between new product technologies and production capabilities.
- Participate in EHS review, hazards analysis and scope development for capital projects. Capable of managing smaller capital projects less than $5MM with local Plant assistance
- Lead and participate in continuous improvement development and implementation.
- Promote knowledge and skill development as it relates to lean methodologies (BPR, Kaizen, TPM, Standard Work, etc.)
- Participates in regional and global CoPs focused on enhancing global powder core competencies and implementing systems, tools and processes to sustain improvements.
- Drive continuous technical improvements for Powder processes through collaboration with the Global Powder Engineers and Powder Operations and NA, EMEAI Engineering Organizations
- FORMAL EDUCATION:
- B.S. Degree or above; major in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science or related field with pertinent experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Powder Coatings manufacturing or 8 years in batch/semi batch specialty chemicals processing involving extrusion, grinding, particle size classification (Plastics, Toner, Pharma, Food).
- Greenbelt Certification with willingness to become Blackbelt Certified
- PMP Certification
Additional desired skills and competencies
- Demonstrated knowledge of process control systems and electrical infrastructure including network administration.
- Supply Chain Experience
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional teams.
- Autocad or equivalent skills
- Must have computer skills including Microsoft Office (MS Excel, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint, Visio), Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Outlook.