Lead Process Engineer (Pulp & Paper)
Birmingham, AL 35201
- Plan, organize, and oversee the process engineering activities with responsibility for quality and accuracy as well as performance budget and schedule.
- Understand the project scope and deliverables. Initiate timely project change notices when deviations are made from project scope that affect the cost of the work, deliverable and/or schedule.
- Establish the process design criteria for the project.
- Oversee PFD and P&ID development, heat and material balances, hydraulic calculations and other process engineering tasks.
- Review and approve all process engineering deliverables.
- Prepare equipment specifications and assist in the development of bid packages for procurement of equipment.
- Review and check vendor information and reconcile verses the process design documents.
- Coordinate with design leaders from other disciplines to ensure inter-disciplinary alignment of the design effort.
- Review discipline design information and design drawings for process engineering input and participate in inter-discipline design reviews.
- Develop preliminary designs suitable for the level of estimate being prepared as part of a capital project development study.
- Maintain familiarity with and utilize industry standards, procedures, and guidelines.
- Check calculations, reports, and studies made by other engineers to ensure accuracy, as well as conformance to codes, specifications, design criteria and good engineering practices.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical, Mechanical or Paper Engineering
- 10+ years of experience in the pulp and paper industry
- Extensive knowledge of paper machine equipment, processes, and operations.
- Experience in PFD and P&ID development, heat and material balances, and equipment specifications.
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Able to travel as required, typically up to 25%