San Diego, CA 92154
The electrical engineer is responsible for designing electric system of air handler units, plan and conduct independent work requiring judgment in the evaluation, selection, application and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures and criteria applied to HVAC units. Devise new approaches to problems, and prepare or modify drawings, specifications, calculations and monitor work for compliance to applicable codes, accepted engineering practices.
Performs complex electrical engineering duties following designated standards and procedures, works closely with engineering disciplines. Duties require application of engineering principles and techniques. May supervise subordinate engineering staff and lead design efforts.
Complete additional projects for electrical engineering department growth and development.
Typical duties will include but not limited to preparation or modification of the following:
- Authors electrical schematics and reports for C&I and data center jobs
- Provide power supply calculators
- Elaborate reports for control panel manufacturing
- Conducts in-house design reviews and technical meetings
- Supports the interfaces with customers and contractors
- Prepares design specifications, analyses and recommendations
- Interface with other departments to complete design and drawings
- Modify existing engineering designs
- Provide job pricing for custom designs
- Understands and implements project management principles
- Prepare work orders for the factory shop floor such as electrical enclosures, panels, conduit, etc
- Design conduit and free routing systems in 2D & 3D
- Generate and maintain bill of materials
- Provide factory shop floor support
- Authors new BOM generation tools and update the existing ones
- Work with production teams to transfer verified designs into full production
- Write engineering manuals, procedures and reports
When acting as a lead engineer:
- Lead a small group of engineers (5)
- Monitors project status and progress
- Plan, organize and assign tasks or responsibilities to the team members
- Discover root cause of and solutions to performance, functionality, yield, reliability, and other issues related to electrical design, work orders or BOMs
- Provide engineering and troubleshooting support to other team members or engineering groups
- Works closely with management to achieve department goals
- Communicate clearly, verbally and in writing, to management concerning project schedule, quality improvement and cost reduction opportunities, cost estimates, etc.
Minimum Qualifications: (education, experience level, knowledge, skills, designations/certifications).
- Bachelor’ s degree in Electrical Engineering, Electro-Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, or any other related
- Deep understanding and experience with electrical systems/components such as industrial control panels, panel boards, transformers, circuit breakers, transfer switches, power supplies, UPS, contactors, VFDs, SPD, etc.
- 5 years of experience designing electrical systems (ICPs, panel boards, load centers, etc)
- 3 years of experience in leadership role
- Experience using Autocad, Solidworks, or Autodesk Inventor
- VFD programming
- Strong knowledge of UL1995, UL508a and NEC
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret plans, specifications, control drawings, service bulletins, equipment specifications, etc.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from customers
- Strong analytical and logical problem-solving skills
- High attention to detail; excellent organization skills
- Ability to lead small engineering teams
- History of increasing responsibilities with proven track record of achieving good results