Advanced Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Battle Creek, MI 49037
Manage the advanced engineering department through supervising the activities of assigned personnel, and ensuring successful completion of all awarded tool programs, engineering changes, launch projects and lean manufacturing initiatives.
- Manage all facility activities and personnel reporting to this position.
- Assist with Business Plan and Department goals and objectives; ensure that goals and objectives are met (Employee, Investor, and Customer).
- Maintain effective communication and coordination with all internal customers, plant management and associates; maintain positive employee relations; listen to issues and concerns and respond (C48) within 48 hours.
- Promote and practice " safety first” by immediately addressing any hazards, defective equipment or unsafe conditions within the engineering department and production work areas.
- Work closely with the Health, Safety and Environmental Coordinator as necessary to ensure safe and healthful working conditions.
- Ensure priorities for all Engineering employees are safety, quality then delivery.
- Implement Lean Manufacturing methods and efficient product flow.
- Support Ergonomic Team.
- Support new program launches.
- Develop and support Departmental leadership succession plans.
- Conduct performance evaluations of engineering staff as specified by company goals.
- Determine, achieve and improve productivity, quality, environmental, health and safety goals.
- Manage awarded tool programs, engineering changes and engineering projects to successful outcomes.
- Administer Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) to customer standards.
- Review all incoming drawings, CAD data, sketches, EWO' s, Fastrackers, etc., effecting current and awarded business.
- Quote all engineering changes for impact to piece cost, tool cost and program timing.
- Manage tooling program cost accounting.
- Complete customer correspondence and act as liaison with customer buyers, engineers and quality personnel as required.
- Interface with tooling vendors and material suppliers directly and through tooling engineers.
- Champion quote teams to respond to customer requests for quotes.
- Interface and collaborate with all other departments to produce best quality product at least possible cost.
- Approve all tooling related purchase orders and invoices prior to release of work.
- Complete correspondence, forms and reports via applicable software programs.
- Handle confidential information on a regular basis.
- Manage capital submissions
- Manage capital tracking and achieve annual capital savings
- Promote and facilitate Open Door process without reprisal, effective communication and Fair Treatment.
- Adhere to customer requirements, Business Operating System and company policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Education
Education and Experience
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the automotive industry
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in managing people
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Quality Function Development (QFD)
- Tooling and manufacturing equipment design principles
- Design for Manufacturing (DFM)/Design for Assembly (DFA)
- Value Engineering (VE)
- Design of Experiments (Taguchi and classical)
- Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (DFMEA/PFMEA, etc.)
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
- High pressure die cast process principles
- Solid Modeling
- Simulation Techniques
- Computer Aided Design (CAD)/Computer Aided Engineering (CAE)
- Reliability Engineering Plans
- Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Must be able to understand written instructions
Skills and Competencies
- Engineering Degree/Diploma or equivalent combination of relevant education and application work related experience or hold Certificate of Qualification in related work.
- Minimum five years' work related experience in an automotive environment utilizing lean manufacturing tools.
- Ability to determine manufacturing feasibility of automotive stampings and assemblies from their piece part drawings
- Able to concept complex and cost effective stamping dies, MIG welding, spot welding, and assembly tooling for automotive parts and assemblies, such as pillars, root rails, rear suspension cross members, bumper impact beams, transmission supports, etc.
- Strong hands-on, day-to-day operational and troubleshooting skills
- Able to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures
- Good communication skills including ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management, employees, suppliers and customers
- Able to maintain confidentiality, and use discretion and tact
- Able to manage and schedule multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Able to work flexible hours to be available to three (3) shifts
- Able to use computer and software as required
Our clients include some of the largest and most respected architectural, engineering, and manufacturing companies in business today. Our ability to offer a wide range of services, and the flexibility to adjust to the changing needs of our clients, has allowed us to maintain a solid reputation for several decades.
Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; 401(k) with a company match; paid holidays and vacations; tuition reimbursement. To learn more, go to www.Wehirepeople.Com or click below to directly contact your recruiter.