Mechanical Design Engineer
Lewis Center, OH
Mechanical Design Engineer
Develop concepts and well-engineered mechanical designs for mechanisms used in automated assembly systems. Use CAD to produce layout, assembly level and detail drawings, bills of materials and specifications. Work with other project team members to meet or exceed the Customer s expectations regarding function, quality and schedule and extend effort and commitment to meet schedules.
- Participate in design schedule development, review, and post project review meetings.
- Coordinate with other project team members to accomplish consistency in designs meeting the project goals as defined by the Lead Mechanical Designer, Mechanical Project Engineer, and the Project Manager.
- Analyze engineering sketches, specifications and related data and drawings to determine shape, dimensions, tolerances, type, hardness and machining properties of metal, and other design factors in the development of industrial manufacturing equipment, processes and products.
- Develop, recommend, and apply sound construction concepts to achieve design for cost-effective manufacturability, field interchangeability, tolerance management, maintainability, and functionality.
- Recognize and develop prototypes of high-risk mechanisms.
- Produce assembly drawings and detail drawings to meet project schedule, and keep designs simple and cost-effective using existing company designs and commercially available items wherever practical.
- Update and revise drawings as required to meet functional requirements.
- Review vendor capability and advance order long lead-time material.
- Generate adjustment procedures and spare parts list for each mechanism as needed.
- Provide technical support to manufacturing and assembly during the build phase.
- Maintain proficiency with all industry standards, methods, and practices.
- Maintain proficiency with all software and computer techniques regularly used in mechanical design.
- Keep abreast of leading-edge technology. Keep informed of new products & mechanical design construction techniques.
- Assist with standardization of components and mechanisms.
- Customer - Provide technical support throughout the design and build phase.
- Engineering Manager and Project Manager - Provide progress updates; alert to problems in technical design, or schedule issues.
- Mechanical Project Engineer - alert to opportunities, issues, and problems with technical design coordination.
- Purchasing Dept - Review long lead items.
- Manufacturing Dept - Interpret designs and detail drawings to maintain a low level of revisions. Provide technical support throughout the build phase.
- Technical Writer - Provide input for documentation.
BS degree in mechanical engineering, mechanical design, or equivalent experience.
Two years experience in mechanical system design. Solidworks design experience is essential. Ability to keep abreast of leading-edge technology is essential. Must have ability to work with and communicate effectively with people at all levels of the organization.